Search Blog

Related Posts

More posts: Kinesiology professional development Public Health YMCA

Contributors

Categories

Kinesiology young alum making UIndy proud

When a university turns out students at graduation, it’s much like a proud parent watching a child go off into the big world. The University of Indianapolis Department of Kinesiology couldn’t be more proud of 2016 graduate Cody Martin, who was recently named associate wellness director at the Benjamin Harrison YMCA in Indianapolis.

Cody Martin, center, YMCA

Martin, who earned a bachelor of science in community health education with a minor in psychology and is a certified personal trainer and certified health education specialist, credits the faculty for their leadership and high expectations.

“The Kinesiology Department expects a lot out of their students, but it really pays off in the long run,” Martin said. “Dr. Rauch and the other public health professors put together a great curriculum with opportunities to get volunteer experience that can help build your resume for that first job interview.”

Martin joined the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis in December 2015 as a wellness coach. Over the following 18 months, he served as a membership specialist and the personal training coordinator before his recent promotion to associate wellness director.

In his position as associate wellness director, Martin’s responsibilities include overseeing the chronic disease prevention programs at the Benjamin Harrison YMCA, as well as the personal training and small group training programs. In addition, he works one-on-one with personal training clients.

Martin maintains his ties to the university and to the department that helped launched his career.

“I stay in touch with Dr. Rauch, who has been a great mentor to me. I recently was back on campus to talk with the Kinesiology Advisory Board about my time at UIndy and how the department helped prepare me for my first job,” Martin said.

He encourages students just getting started to take advantage of the volunteer and other outside of the classroom opportunities that can add up to great experience to offer potential employers.

“The professional development piece is what I think has helped separate me from other recent grads,” Martin said. “The day after my final interview at the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis, the hiring manager took time to comment on my interviewing skills and my professional attire. Those things all came to me as second nature because of the professional development I received at UIndy.”

Tagged with: