Search Blog

Related Posts

More posts: Belize Doctor of Health Science education for service occupational therapy Physical Therapy

Contributors

Categories

Therapist and student reflects on service in Belize

Physical therapist and University of Indianapolis Doctor of Health Science student Maryleen Jones was part of UIndy’s interprofessional trip to Belize last summer. On the morning of July 25, 2015, the group was in Hopkins for some R&R and service on the Caribbean Coast. Maryleen went out for a run, listening to her iPod. This was her journal entry from that day:

“The first song that came on was ‘Shake it out.’ The line in the song was ‘It’s always darkest before the dawn,’ and I thought about where I was a few months ago professionally. I definitely felt burned out and a bit lost.PT with older patient in Belize

Today I felt new again. I have been teaching future therapists and I have been reconnected to the joy of providing therapy to those in need. It is a good feeling to be able to help with your time and talent…a deep level of satisfaction.

The next song was ‘Right Now’ and there is a call to act now–‘Don’t put off tomorrow–act today.’ By procrastinating we fall off pace, lose our rhythm or lose our beat, and end up lost sometimes. I have been thinking about doing some type of mission trip for some time, but always thought of barriers. I’m not good at ‘preaching’ or good at building homes, etc., but I am able to help people with therapy.”

The University of Indianapolis College of Health Sciences course OTPP 620 – Seminar in International Practice – Belize will take place in August 2016. Occupational and physical therapists are needed to join this trip to provide service to people from infants to older adults. Seven-day and 14-day trips are available. For more information, please contact Dr. Candace Beitman or call (317) 788-3502.

Tagged with: